Monday, February 20, 2012

Get More Rest!

My symptoms are getting a little better. I am definitely not normal yet, however. I need about 9 hours sleep if I don't do anything during the day that overly exerts my energy. I'm still having about 5 bowel movements a day, but the discomfort in my gut has subsided. So I have improved quite a bit, but I'm not back to normal yet.

Saturday, I instructed up at Beech mountain. By lunch time I was beat. Walking up and down the mountain while instructing just wore me out that quickly. So you can imagine how tired I was at 3:30 when my lessons were over. I had to go back to the apartment to take a nap in order to have enough energy to learn some acrobalance, which I had planed for the evening.

Acrobalance is very cool, by the way. One of the ski instructors, Jeff Anderson, does this and is exceptional at it. It's a cross between yoga and acrobatics, and a little like what you'd see at a cirque du soleil. You can check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIMx0zVqvDM.

In any regard, I've been wanting to do this with him all season, and he finally was off work so that we could Saturday night. It's a bit of a work out. I worked up a sweat for sure, even though we only performed for about 30 minutes.

Dr. Azar keeps talking to me getting more rest. She says the body only heals when resting, and using my energy for other things will just prolong my healing. Her words were in my thoughts when I decided to take Sunday off from instrucing. I did absolutely nothing that day, even after sleeping ten hours Saturday night, and even after vegging all day on Sunday, I still slept ten hours Sunday night as well. For those of you that know me, that certainly is not normal, but my body needed every second of it.

Today, my legs are soooo sore from all day of lessons on Saturday, so clearly I burned a lot of energy Saturday, but still, needing an entire day to recover for this certainly means that my body has not recovered very well from my Crohn's flare up yet. I need to take Dr. Azar's advise it appears, and rest is my objective until I'm feeling 100%.



No comments:

Post a Comment